[Spice-devel] [patch 0/2] vdagent KEYVAL extension

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Wed Oct 9 05:55:45 CEST 2013

> Well, you were not really explaining your particular case, or were you?

Yes, I tried at least, and I even provided a complete, working example code (spiceterm).

> bypassing all of server, x & qemu & kernel etc...
>
> Arbitrary utf8 input can only be handled at user space / agent level (no way to
> pass a X11/gdk or utf8 through hw level)
>
> And as of today, all agents messages go through the main channel. So it is quite
> normal to recommend to use the main channel.
>
> Now that I review your patch and look at spiceterm usage, I understand you are
> not just passing utf8 input, but you also want regular key events, thus the
> synchronization question arise.
>
> > IMHO, extending the input channel keyboard message format would be the
> > right thing to do. Simply send:
> >
> > - scancode
> > - keysym
> > - modifier key state
> >
> > inside a single message.
>
> That might be a good option too, but that won't be that easy for the spice server
> / agent to deal with. And I also think it is useless to send a single message with
> all values when clearly only one of the 2 is being used.

Ok (although I think such separation only makes thing unnecessarily complex).

> I am still suggesting adding a utf8 input message (on input channel),
> synchronized with other existing XT key events (which don't have unicode
> representation).

I already sent such patch 2 weeks ago - please can you review?

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2013-September/014342.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2013-September/014339.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2013-September/014341.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2013-September/014340.html