[Spice-devel] how can i trace monitor change (etc) events

David Mansfield spice at dm.cobite.com
Tue Apr 15 14:11:26 PDT 2014

On 04/15/2014 04:32 PM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:35:32 AM David Mansfield wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to trace all events going back and forth between
>> spice server / client and also between Xorg driver (qxl) and spice
>> server regarding monitor connect resize etc.
>
> Monitor resize is handled by the spice-vdagent app in the *guest* system, it
> must be installed and running in the guest for that to work. It serves the
> same purpose as the guest tools in vmware, virtualbox etc.
>
> Dual monitors needs the qxl drivers working (xserver-xorg-video-qxl) and
> kernel support - can't remember which version, but I know there were some
> kernel patches related to that. Fedora 20 didn't have them but they may have
> been added since.

Thanks for the clarification.  All of this is somewhat known to me
although I did not know there are recent kernel patches that may be
missing from F20 qxl.ko.

My situation is: dual monitors works (with qxl.ko loaded in the F20
guest of course) when the guest desktop environment is gnome3, but does
not work when the guest desktop environment is mate or fluxbox.

I am trying to identify what is different between these two environments
so I'd like to be able to trace the messages going back and forth to
some degree.

How can I see the messages being generated/received by spice-vdagentd in
the guest?

FYI: Host, guest and client are all F20 fully updated (and running on
the same machine).

Thanks,
David