[Spice-devel] SPICE for text mode serial consoles ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 07:37:14 PST 2014

A long time back OpenStack had a remote text console service, in parallel
with its VNC console console. This was later deleted because it was using
insecure code from an unmaintained 3rd party project. Fairly frequently
though people raise the issue of re-enabling remote text (ie serial)
console access, as a low bandwidth alternative to a fully graphical
console.

I was wondering, given that SPICE is designed with many independant
data channels, would it make sense to provide a way to add new channel
type that could transport a text mode console ? eg SPICE would act as
the backend for QEMU serial ports, as well as the graphical display.
Clients could have a choice of opening the graphics related channels,
the serial port channels, or both.

NB I'm not saying I've time to work on this at all - I was just wondering
if this was conceptually a reasonable feature to propose.

Regards,
Daniel