[Spice-devel] Support for non-English keyboard layouts in aSPICE and Opaque

i iordanov iiordanov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 10:39:38 PST 2014

Hi Dietmar,

Another case in point.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Dietmar Maurer <dietmar at proxmox.com>wrote:

> I am not sure why you want to depend on the andriod keyboard layout?

I do not. Users can pick whatever layout they please on their device.
Opaque and aSPICE receive a KeyEvent from which a unicode value can be
extracted. I have to somehow convert this unicode value to a series of
scancodes that are *correct for the keyboard layout set inside the VM* of
the user.

> Simply set the VM to use a QWERTZ keyboard, and use the same layout
> with oqaque?

We're discussing (for example) a German user who has picked QWERTZ inside
their VM so that when they're connecting from their laptop which also has
QWERTZ, everything is sane.

Now, let's say the user connects from their Android device to the same VM
while on the road. If the VM is set to use QWERTZ, but I am using the
"common" layout file that is under discussion, what will happen is that
when the user presses the letter "z" on their device, they will get unicode
0x7a (regardless of the layout they're using on their device). If we use
the "common" layout file to figure out the scancode for this letter, we get
back scancode 0x2c. However, this scancode will generate a letter "y" on
the VM side.
<http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/007a/index.htm>

> Or do you want to emulate android devices inside a VM?

No.

I hope this clears your questions up. I think you're solving a
fundamentally different problem in spiceterm to the one I'm solving in
Opaque/aSPICE. Do you not agree?

Thanks,
iordan

--
The conscious mind has only one thread of execution.