[Spice-devel] RFC - adding vp8 support

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Fri Jan 23 12:28:56 PST 2015

Hi folks,

The spice-html5 client supports streaming, for low values of 'support'.

It would be a fairly substantial boost to it's performance if Spice
could encode in a format supported by the MediaSource api such as vp8.

We've talked on an off through the years about adding that support; I'd
like to go ahead and make that effort.

It looks like the task will be fairly straight forward.  There are some
aspects of the spice streaming functionality that are wrapped inside
mjpeg_encoder.c, and those should logically get broken out.

It's not clear if we want to continue with the same stream rate logic;
the libvpx encoder has a built in 'target bit rate' setting that may be
a more logical approach.

But my instinct is to add a video_codec.[ch] set to parallel the
snd_codec.[ch] in spice-common, and then to pare out the truly mpeg only
parts of the logic into those files.

Once that was done, I'd introduce a codec type of VP8 and go from there.

Is there anything else I should consider before I begin?  Have others
started in on this work?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeremy