[Spice-devel] keypress-delay issue

Jared Kwek jekwek88 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 23:23:08 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I worked directly with Victor to test out his patch and wanted to report
back to the mailing list on my results.  I set  SPICE_KEYPRESS_DELAY=10 and
saw an improvement in the response time when I was typing.  I was using
Fedora 21 in the client with Gnome 3 and tried typing in LibreOffice Writer
and in the Gmail web mail client on Firefox on my Fedora 22 VM as the SPICE
server.  The lag is somewhat noticeable with the keypress delay set to 100,
such that when I compare typing on a physical machine vs a SPICE session I
can definitely feel the difference.  I say somewhat noticeable because it
is not a huge difference; I can just feel a lag when typing.  With the 10
ms delay it felt more like real-time.

I'm wondering where to go from here.  Victor did submit a patch for the
environment variable, so that will be available as a workaround for those
who know about it.  I guess it is up to you the developers if you want to
make configuration or fix something more mainstream.  There were a couple
complaints about it on the mailing list that I dug up, but it doesn't sound
like there's been much public outcry to fix it.  Nevertheless, since I am
presenting it as an issue, I'd be happy to do any further testing if anyone
is interested in looking into it a bit further, as I would recommend it as
something that should be addressed.

Thanks again for considering this and especially to Victor for taking it on
so I could test out a user-configurable value.

Regards,
Jared Kwek