[Spice-devel] UsbDk

Dmitry Fleytman dmitry at daynix.com
Thu Mar 5 00:21:12 PST 2015

Hi Jason,

> On Mar 4, 2015, at 19:42 PM, Jason Kotzin <jason at flirc.tv> wrote:
>
> Hi Dmitry -
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> Yes, I understand HID is the way to go, but I have quite a few devices shipped and flashed, so I need to solve this terrible windows problem with these existing devices. But for future stuff, I’m not doing anything other than HID anymore because of windows.
>
> Not sure I understand this:
>
>> Use hider API, UsbDk_AddHideRule() etc.
>

> If my installer, installs the msi package for me, am I supposed to run some code afterwards that calls this API (because it’s not exposed in libusb) ?

Yes, this function is not exported by libusb, you’ll need to load UsbDkHelper.dll and call this function from there (see our libusb patches or UsbDkController.exe for sample code).

> Or can I simply use this; UsbDkController.exe -H VID

Also an option, but much more heavyweight,
pay attention that when UsbDkController.exe exits it cleans hide rules, so you’ll need to have it running all the time.

> I’m on the developer mailer and don’t see the patches.
>
> Could I trouble you for a copy of these patches as well as the libusb git commit has they intended to be applied to? I’m happy to help test and will even deploy this to several thousand people should this look promising.

As I understood from mailings on libusb-devel you’ve found patches already, right?

~Dmitry.

> Thanks Dmitry.
>
> Very Sincerely,
> Jason
>

>> On Mar 4, 2015, at 5:03 AM, Dmitry Fleytman <dmitry at daynix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> My name is Dmitry Fleytman and I’m author and maintainer of UsbDk.
>>
>>> On Mar 3, 2015, at 23:36 PM, Jason Kotzin <jason at flirc.tv> wrote:
>>>
>>> Spice Developers -
>>>
>>> I have been watching the discussion on the libusb developer mailer and am absolutely intrigued. The number one issue I have my product is with windows usb device handling. Drivers and inf’s do not consistently work and with so many versions of windows and hardware, I have battled issue after issue. I’m at the point now where I’m considering re-writing all my firmware, and all my drivers to use a hid device for windows driverless communication (already started).
>>>
>>> UsbDk sounds too good to be true.
>>

>> Thanks :)
>>

>>> I’m interested in playing with it, and have read through all the documentation, but am a bit unclear how everything works. Please let me know if this is correct:
>>>
>>> 1. Instal via msi package (I understand there is an alternative, but this is what I would use)
>>> 2. Ensure I have the libusb backend for UsbDk.