[Spice-devel] xspice multiple monitor

Uri Lublin uril at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 04:06:33 PDT 2015

On 03/02/2015 07:12 PM, My Work wrote:
> You can follow any responses to explain how to properly use
> spice-vdagent(d) Xspice?
> I did not realize until the end how to do it

First, you'll need a recent enough spice-vdagent(d) that accept the -S
command line option.

As mentioned in README.xspice there are two methods to run Xspice.

Using scripts/Xspice:
---------------------
I used this method.
With my patches, specifically those that touch scripts/Xspice,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2015-January/018703.html
one can simply add --vdagent option to Xspice script, e.g

scripts/Xspice --port 5900 --disable-ticketing --xorg $XORG :3.0 --vdagent

Running vdagent manually:
------------------------
I did not use this method.
To run vdagent "manually" one should enable vdagent in Xspice and
provide required information by one of the following options.
Then run spice-vdagentd and spice-vdagent with matching arguments.

Providing Xspice with vdagent information:
1. define the required environment variables:
    XSPICE_VDAGENT_ENABLED is needed
    XSPICE_VDAGENT_VIRTIO_PATH, and XSPICE_VDAGENT_UINPUT_PATH
    are optional. Possibly more are needed.
2. define those required variables in spiceqxl.xorg.conf in
    the "Device" section:
    "SpiceVdagentEnabled" is needed
    "SpiceVdagentVirtioPath", "SpiceVdagentUinputPath" are optional.
     Possibly more are needed.

Some testing is needed to find out if other variables are needed.

Running Xorg:
rm -f /tmp/xspice-vdagent /tmp/xspice_-virtio /tmp/xspice-uinput
$XORG -noreset -config spiceqxl.xorg.conf :3.0

Running spice-vdagentd and spice-vdagent:
spice-vdagentd -x -S /tmp/xspice-vdagent -s /tmp/xspice_-virtio -f -u
/tmp/xspice-uinput
spice-vdagent  -x -S /tmp/xspice-vdagent -s /tmp/xspice_-virtio

Hope that helps,
     Uri.