[Spice-devel] Clients, Nagle and net test

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 08:44:21 PST 2016

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 05:08:35AM -0500, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > >
> > > Client and server are both setting TCP_NODELAY, which should disable the
> > > Nagle algorithm, so maybe the delays are caused by something else?
> > >
> > > Christophe
> > >

> > I don't know but surely remote-viewer on Fedora 22 does not set
> > TCP_NODELAY.
>
> This could be a bug,
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/spice-gtk/commit/?id=546dad3a0adf35c5115a12f516bdefde82704e5d
> has been there for 4 years now.
>
> Christophe

Patch is there and NODELAY is correctly set. Just I didn't notice in the strace as much earlier.

It appears to be a limitation (bug?) from the combination of netem that I'm using.
Using wireshark I can see that packets are grouped and the result is similar to
have Nagle algorithm turned on.
Any other way to emulate latency+bandwidth beside using netem?

Frediano