[Spice-devel] How to adapt keymaps for spice-html5

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 12:47:55 UTC 2016

Hey,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:53:25PM +0000, Eric Grammatico wrote:
> Hello There,
>
> I am currently testing spice-html5. I find it very promessing and I'd
> like to give a hand if possible.
>
> I am currently experiencing an irritating issue with key mapping. I
> win to have French keymap implemented, but it seems most of extended
> keys are either not defined or miss defined.
>
> I spent ages to have this issue fixed on server side before having a
> look in the js and I understood the client side is better adapted to
> US key map.
>
> Please could some one drive me to define/write the mapping for my
> keyboard ?

I believe you need to edit common_scanmap in utils.js, and potentially
atKeynames.js. You probably can infer the AT value from xev (and
pressing the key), iirc it's often keycode minus 8. The common_scanmap
index, I guess you can get it directly from the browser with a bit of
javascript (or some logging added to get_scancode()).

Never tried to look into what you are trying to do, but this is how I
would start at least :)

> May be an evolution would be to adapt the html page to
> leave the user with the opportunity to select the key mapping before
> connection. If this is implemented, I believe many contributions would
> help to include further key mapping.

Key mapping is indeed one big complaint with spice-html5. I don't know
if we can guess which keymap to use from browser language and have some
hidden setting to override it, or something like that.