[stsf] STSF build failure on SuSE 9.1 ...

Alexander Gelfenbain Alexander.Gelf at Sun.COM
Sun Jun 20 12:31:27 PDT 2004

On Jun 20, 2004, at 12:20, Roland Mainz wrote:

> Unfortunately I realised that Linux support is currently completely
> defunct. I hacked a little bit around until it _compiled_ ... but I
> think it's better that I attach the patch to a bugzilla bug and someone
> with better knowledge of that code reviews the patch and checks it in
> (otherwise it may happen that Linux builds and the Solaris build is
> screwed-up).
>
> Beyond getting the compilation of the Xorg/STSF trees working... does
> anyone ever tried to _run_ a XST-enabled Xserver on Linux ? I tried my
> luck but "xdpyinfo" doesn't show the XST extension, regardless what I
> put in "/etc/X11/XF86Config" ... ;-(

Yes, we were running an ST-enabled XFree86-based server on Linux until
several months ago when we had to make sure that ST for Solaris has all
the features we need. Since our current builds work fine with the XOrg
server on Solaris, I would expect them to work with XOrg or XFree86
on Linux.

ST is a bit more difficult. We use Solaris doors as the primary
communication
protocol between ST font server and ST client library. Doors are not
available
on Linux and we need to reimplement the protocol using UNIX domain
sockets.

That by itself should not be very difficult, since the communication
protocol
is very structured - it passes control messages through the door and
data
is shared via shared memory.

Porting the protocol to Linux is on my to-do list right after we make
the first
official release of STSF for Solaris, which we are getting very close
to.

AG

---
Alexander Gelf
User Experience / Globalization Engineering
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
+1 (408) 635-0612