[stsf] STSF merge to XOrg HEAD?

Alan Coopersmith Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
Sat Jan 8 09:11:00 PST 2005

Felix Schulte wrote:
> I see a problem here with getting it actually shipped. If it's not
> part of the core XOrg distribution it won't mark it into *ANY* major
> Linux distribution unless other, mandatory components start to have a
> hard dependicy.

If the majority of the Linux packagers get their way, there will never
again be a core Xorg distribution - just an independent collection of
packages which they can pick and choose the ones they want from, and
skip the rest.   6.8.x is likely to be the last of the current monolithic
release models.

>>In any case, I'm pretty sure no one at Sun is working on either the technical
>>effort to do the merge (which is small, given that it's already in a branch),
>>nor the effort of convincing everyone else that putting it in the main Xorg tree
>>is a good idea (which is not small, given the bias towards Xft/render that many
>>people have), both of which would have to be done to get it in.
>
> Does Sun fear the community response? Or does Sun wants to keep STSF
> as semi-Opensorce technology, being only fully implemented in Solaris
> and only having a reference implementation for the rest of the world
> or what?

The STSF implementation in Solaris is virtually identical to what's in the
open source release.   (It was identical at one point, we've fallen behind
on pushing out bug fixes to the open source tree since the person who did
that left the company.)

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith@sun.com