[Swfdec] swfdec in firefox on Fedora8 x86_64

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Thu Nov 8 05:30:58 PST 2007

Hi,

On Nov 8, 2007 2:19 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've tried swfdec on Fedora 8 x86_64 without much luck. I originally
> used the rpms from livna. I primarily want it just to view youtube
> videos which from various blog posts I thought worked. It seems to
> detect the flash but i just get a white background (it does detect a
> plugin as you don't get the jigsaw piece).

There have been reports from Gentoo on IRC about the same thing. It
turned out they used Xorg 7.3 and that has a bug in it that prevented
the videos from being shown. According to them Xorg 7.2 and Xorg git
work fine. So if you use Xorg 7.3, you may be hit by the same issue.
In that case no Swfdec recompile will help you. I don't know more
about this, but maybe someone who was affected can answer in more
detail?

> From there I checked out a copy from the git repo but i can't compile
> it due to the error below (either as a rpm or from straight source).

It's a known problem that rpm adds a -Wall flag. Unfortunately this
reactivates a warning that we explicitly turned off by using
-Wno-unused-parameter. If your non-rpm compile gets hit by the same
issue, you probably have -Wall in your CFLAGS, too. To get around
this, you have to add -Wno-unused-parameter to your CFLAGS _after_ the
-Wall. Alternatively, you can add -Wno-error to get around gcc
aborting on warnings.

Cheers,
Benjamin