[Swfdec] your blog comment

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Wed Apr 9 12:52:50 PDT 2008

> A few of questions:
> - Is there a document somewhere that explains how I can create tests that are well integrated in your testsuite?
> - Is it worthwile to already start making AS3-based tests?
> - Sometimes I need to use Flash CS3 - is it worthwile to contribute .swf files, or even .fla files even though there are no open source tools to compile these?

It's actually very easy to add tests to the Swfdec testsuite.
Depending on the type of test it's outlined at
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=swfdec/swfdec.git;a=blob;f=test/trace/README
or http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=swfdec/swfdec.git;a=blob;f=test/image/README
or any other of the test dirs that has a README file.
Since our test files are SWF files, it doesn't matter how you create
them. As long as we have an expected output from the official Flash
player, we're fine.

The harder problem is figuring out what a useful test is. Of course
there's some rules of thumb. A useful test
- is small, so it only shows the actual problem and not more.
- contains information about what it tests. Usually this is best
explained by source code. I don't care what kind of source code that
is, as the source is just used for explaining what the test does. The
current tests don't all include source. If no source code is
available, a test file explaining it or trace output that does the
same is perfectly fine, too.
- Does not test something that is not implemented. So when you get a
SWFDEC_FIXME debug output, it's usually not worthwhile writing a test.

> - Are testcases shared between swfdec and gnash?

No, Swfdec and Gnash have very different ideas on how to do a test
suite. Gnash can run the Swfdec test suite.

> - I mostly use the MPL-licensed Flex 3 SDK to compile my .as files - is this a problem?

As long as you are allowed to distribute the test files under Swfdec's
license, you can even use your secret private application to compile
the tests. As long as a test is useful, it's welcome.

Cheers,
Benjamin