[Swfdec] Autoplay option

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu Apr 24 15:17:35 PDT 2008

Hello!

I don't like the recent change to the plugin that makes some flash files
to play automatically.  I know that GUI design is not my thing, but let
me explain what I don't like:

1) It's not obvious to the user that the "play" toggle is persistent.
Media players don't change their behavior just because the user presses
the "play" button.

2) No user who didn't read the changelog or found swfdec-mozilla.conf
would even suspect that the setting is per host.  It looks like some
sites work with autoplay, and some don't.  The "play" button doesn't
show what it does.  It doesn't show the host name.  The host of the
flash file may be different from the main page.

3) The "global" setting is a joke, as the play button overrides it.
It's impossible to disable or enable autoplay for _all_ sites.  And that
was actually the most important advantage of swfdec over the Adobe
plugin - the knowledge that no flash would play until I run it.
Likewise, full autoplay of the Adobe plugin cannot be emulated.

4) Users have to be careful to stop the plugin if they don't want flash
from that site to autoplay the next time.

5) The autoplay setting is saved before the plugin exits.  This means
that it the browser becomes unresponsive and has to be killed, the same
flash file will autoplay next time.  I'd rather see the "true" setting
saved only if the plugin stops handling the flash file and there have
been no errors.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin