[Swfdec] Autoplay option

Riccardo Magliocchetti riccardo at datahost.it
Sat Apr 26 06:41:28 PDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:17:35 -0400 Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello!

Hi,

> I don't like the recent change to the plugin that makes some flash
> files to play automatically.  I know that GUI design is not my thing,
> but let me explain what I don't like:
>
> 1) It's not obvious to the user that the "play" toggle is persistent.
> Media players don't change their behavior just because the user
> presses the "play" button.
>
> 2) No user who didn't read the changelog or found swfdec-mozilla.conf
> would even suspect that the setting is per host.  It looks like some
> sites work with autoplay, and some don't.  The "play" button doesn't
> show what it does.  It doesn't show the host name.  The host of the
> flash file may be different from the main page.
>
> 3) The "global" setting is a joke, as the play button overrides it.
> It's impossible to disable or enable autoplay for _all_ sites.  And
> that was actually the most important advantage of swfdec over the
> Adobe plugin - the knowledge that no flash would play until I run it.
> Likewise, full autoplay of the Adobe plugin cannot be emulated.
>
> 4) Users have to be careful to stop the plugin if they don't want
> flash from that site to autoplay the next time.
>
> 5) The autoplay setting is saved before the plugin exits.  This means
> that it the browser becomes unresponsive and has to be killed, the
> same flash file will autoplay next time.  I'd rather see the "true"
> setting saved only if the plugin stops handling the flash file and
> there have been no errors.

Attached a patch against swfdec-mozilla git that should address
at least 1 and 4. 2 could be implement on top of this displaying the
hostname in the plugin menu. 3 the same way adding a new entry 'Play
everything automatically' but i don't think is a good idea ATM.

Could you try it and see if works for you?

HTH,
riccardo