[Swfdec] Autoplay option

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Mon Apr 28 05:41:33 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 09:45 +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Riccardo Magliocchetti
> <riccardo at datahost.it> wrote:
> >  Attached a patch against swfdec-mozilla git that should address
> >  at least 1 and 4. 2 could be implement on top of this displaying the
> >  hostname in the plugin menu. 3 the same way adding a new entry 'Play
> >  everything automatically' but i don't think is a good idea ATM.
> >
> You are aware that your patch makes matters worse for all (of the 1.5)
> use cases that have been posted to this list so far? It requires more
> configuration to achieve what people want (right click on the Flash)
> and exposes implementation details (hostnames, in particular ones that
> are not vivisble to the user).

If autoplay is done by the hostname, then the hostnames should be shown.
If autoplay is done by the whole URL or by the checksum of the flash
file, then it's a detail.  It would be "autoplay this particular file".

> I had really hoped to get a clue about what people want wrt autoplay,
> so that we could collect the wishes and figure out a way that pleases
> everybody. But it seems noone cares enough to write a mail about it.

I'm basically fine with no autoplay.  But there are some situations
where I could prefer to use autoplay.

1) Video players that start loading the video automatically, but don't
start playing unless the user presses the play button.  In this case, I
would open links in separate tabs and have the video waiting for me when
I switch to those tabs.

2) Legitimate pages with little nice things, which are working fine and
don't take many resources (countdown clocks etc).

I can imagine that some users are fine with autoplaying everything
except resource hogs and particularly obnoxious ads.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin