[Swfdec] A lot less stability!

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Fri Jan 25 11:14:04 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 8:03 PM, Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 19:23 +0100, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > In my quest to solve bug 13815 I had to change the API quite a bit.
> > And while I was at it, I also made swfdec-gtk use the upcoming libsoup
> > 2.4 and changed the include dirs to "swfdec" instead of "libswfdec".
> > All in all, the API changed quite a bit and I hope it didn't cause too
> > much instability.
>
> Shouldn't we depend on released versions?  I see that libsoup-2.4 needs
> glib-2.15, and that's a development version of glib.
>
> Maybe swfdec could be backported to the latest libsoup 2.2.x?  In many
> cases, a backport is less intrusive that than a forward port.  Or maybe
> the patch for libsoup-2.4 could be held in a separate branch until
> libsoup-2.4 is released?

The reason I did this is that Gnome 2.22 will use libsoup 2.24 and
they asked me to up the version. We intend to do a 0.6 at the end of
February that is going to be used with Gnome 2.22 and I wanted to get
as close to that as soon as possible.
I was kind of skeptical about doing it, too, but in the end decided
it'd be better to have a working http library as some testers for one
month.

> It looks like I would need to recompile glib, gtk and several other
> libraries, and then libsoup-2.4.  I may not get around to doing it soon.

You only have to update glib and libsoup. Glib is binary compatible
with 2.14 and libsoup is parralel-installable with the old version. So
nothing should break. It's what I have done on Gutsy.
If you are on Ubuntu and are too lazy to compile glib yourself, you
should be able to grab the Hardy glib package and use that without any
problems. You'll have to compile libsoup svn trunk yourself though at
this point in time.
Anyway, those 2 packages are enough and I think this is doable for
everyone. Otherwise I wouldn't have upped that requirement yet.

Cheers,
Benjamin