[Swfdec] swfdec not working - how to troubleshoot?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 04:36:29 PST 2008

Hi,
I'm a fedora user and I didn't know about your great project (shame on
me). Only project I head about before that tried to do that you are
doing is gnash.

I'm testing fedora rawhide (development verision - soon to be Fedora
9). Rawhide currently uses Firefox 3 and swfdec installed by default -
that is how I got to know about your project.
Current version in rawhide is swfdec-0.5.5. I seam to have on success
playing any video from wide bookmark list of video sharing sites. I
saw that you have "youtube support" but only thing that I can see
using rawhide are flash banners (which work) and if I click on any
video I get them to play but only audio - the video stays black.

So is this still hard in develpment to I'm not expected to see any
video or you have done enough work so that most sites should work but
there is some issue in rawhide or firefox 3?

I really want to remove proprietary flash from my system so I also
wanted to if swfdec would work on Fedora 8. I found swfdec in livna
repository and installed it (version 0.5.3), and I renamed proprietary
ibflashplayer.so to ibflashplayer.so.bad so that symlins to that file
fail and that swfdec gets loaded.

I see swfdec loaded but I don't see any flas, not even flash banner
that I see under rawhide with swfdec 0.5.5

Should I expect swfdec to work and troubleshoot it more or should I
just forget about using swfdec if it is still in early develompent?

Thank you guys/gals and I hope you suceed so that we have no
dependency on closed source flash plugin!

Valent,
Fedora Ambassador from Croatia

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/