[Swfdec] Get URL handling, A/V decoding

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Tue Sep 9 00:51:12 PDT 2008

> 1. In both the audio and video formats, is the output from the decoders
> expected to be in little-endian or native-endian format? I ask because I'm
> doing all of my development on an Intel Mac, but I must also target PPC (and
> eventually PPC64) or else a lot of people will complain, so endian-ness is
> important. I noticed the built-in decoders are using little-endian on my
> Mac, but I don't want to assume that on PPC...

Output is native endian.

> 2. Is it just me, or does the output from the ADPCM decoder sound punchy to
> anyone? I ran the ADPCM test cases through both Swfdec and Adobe Flash
> Player, and Swfdec's decoder put a little more punch into it than Flash
> Player did. I'm going to try again with MP3 soon.

This is likely related to the upsampling algorithm used by Swfdec vs
the one used by Adobe. I reverse engineered the Adobe algorithm once,
but I don't think the ADPCM decoder still uses it, as it was very ugly
and I feared it crashing. It might be that 0.6 still does, though.
It's pretty easy to capture Adobe's output anyway, as it opens a new
connecton to the sound system for every stream.
But I stopped to actually care about making sound 100% identical. I
was happy with "good enough".

Benjamin