[Swfdec] Mac OS X Port Update

Nick Zitzmann seiryu at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 21:12:45 PDT 2008

I'm looking at releasing a public beta of Swfdec 0.8.0 for Mac OS X in
a few days.

Here's my source code so far; don't check this into anything yet
because I've got some more things to do over the weekend: <http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/macosx.zip

The Mac OS X version will come with more or less the same software as
the GTK+ version - a framework with an NSView subclass (the Mac OS X
equivalent of a GTK+ widget), a standalone player app, a thumbnailer,
and a Web browser plugin that works with Safari. I did not change any
existing files; I only added several GTK+ subclasses and several
Objective-C classes.

Here is a screenshot of Swfdec operating inside Safari, and
SwfdecPlayer running in the background: <http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/Picture2.png

I've got three more questions for Benjamin or anyone else who would
know:

1. I've noticed that JPEG rendering is really slow for some reason,
and I hope it's from something I'm doing incorrectly. But every time
an animation uses at least one JPEG, drawing the frame seems to
monopolize the CPU. This makes JPEG-heavy animations unplayable. Can
anyone look at my -drawRect: method in SDFlashView and tell me if I'm
missing something?

2. Also, I've noticed that on some animations, when the swfdec_player
structure is deallocated, when it tries to deallocate some of the
ActionScript variables, it causes a crash. Is this happening to anyone
else? Should I file a bug? I can't reproduce the problem 100% of the
time.

3. In the video decoder, I'm getting the frames, but is there some way
to get the container, and if so, then how? I'm trying to use QuickTime
to load the Flash video, but QuickTime apparently needs the whole
container format, and can't do much with just frames.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/>
S/MIME signature available upon request