[Swfdec] Compiling swfdec

Peter Carlson pcarlson at kgisystems.com
Thu Jan 22 10:08:03 PST 2009

> May be I missed something, but instead of compiling directly in the
> target, cannot you cross-compile it in your host?
>
> All the embedded Linux systems that I know of have a cross-compiler for
> the given arch. If not, you can always built your own :)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Pedro Aguilar

Our embedded system runs on a intel chip and runs Redhat 9.0  (I know it's
old, but regulations prevent us from running anything newer).  As
cross-compiling is not my strong suit I thought I would install Redhat 9 in
a virtualbox and then build swfdec there.  However this is proving daunting
as even just installing packages is a pain (no yum, apt-get is not finding
packages, etc).

Perhaps a bit of direction from you guys:
1.  Should I continue trying to get a Redhat 9 installation going where I
can build swfdec,
2.  Should I go back to my Fedora 10 virtualbox and attempt to
cross-compile?
2a.  If I cross compile, I really will need to build swfdec and *all* it's
dependant libararies to be static libs, so I can just copy the finished app
/ library over to my embedded system.

Again, I'll state that I appreciate everyone's help and patience.  I come
from 24 years of C programming, most of that with Visual Studio, so some of
this is very new to me.

Peter