[Swfdec] questions

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Mon Mar 9 07:48:33 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Cakemeister <cakemeister at comcast.net> wrote:
> There's a flash instruction that says, "jump to frame x", and "freeze play
> here?". Is there a way to construct such a movie and store it in a structure
> somewhere?

Sure there's gotoFrame() and play() and stop() functions in the Flash API.
And such movies are best kept in .swf files and loaded on demand.

> In the future it might be nice to have jump and pause functions in the API.

I'm not sure. I don't like the idea of exposing an API to do stuff
with the Flash file itself. Not only because Swfdec is unstable and
quickly changing all the time, but because it reduces the
refactorability of the codebase.
Using launcher Flash files however uses the Flash API we're coding to,
so there's no additional features or limits exposed.

> Some movies repeat when you get to the end of file, and some don't. I don't
> see any way to tell between the two types of file.
>
> What I really want to do is determine which files should repeat and which
> should not repeat. I also want to know which files I can pull individual
> frames out of and which I can't.

"Repeat" is not a feature of Flash files. Some Flash files stop their
main sprite at the last frame using Actionscript to get the effect of
not looping.
There's also a "loop" option in the right-click menu of the Flash
player. I'm not sure what it does, as it seems no Flash file needs it.
It's not implemented in Swfdec at the moment.

Benjamin