[systemd-devel] systemd kills mdmon if it was started manually by user

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sat Dec 4 04:14:13 PST 2010

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 03:08:05PM +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > (/etc/pam.d/system-auth), which automatically creates cgroups by login
> > session, which in turn gets killed when the user has "completely logged out".
> > That is why your mdadm gets terminated, too.
>
> Sure.
>
> > You can avoid that by adding create-session=0 to it, like:
> >
> > # grep pam_systemd /etc/pam.d/systemd-auth
> > session     optional    pam_systemd.so create-session=0
> >

> But I do want user session to be created; and systemd was specifically
> extended to properly terminate user sessions on shutdown. It is just
> that mdmon does not belong to user session at all.

  Man page talks about kill-session= and kill-user= parameters, which
may be useful to you.

> > Which is the recommented way if you want processes (created by the "user") to
> > live on even when this user has fully logged out.
> >

> mdmon does not belong to user. User is not even aware that it is
> started. And it is likely not the last case. So systemd does need some
> framework which can move such processes out of user session. It
> probably needs some sd_daemon API to notify systemd that it is system
> level task even if it was started as result of user interaction.

  Well, it is started by user, so it belongs to user. And
systemd has an API to start system-level task as a result of
user interaction: it is called "systemctl start mdmon.service".

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox