[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] Packaging systemd

David Zeuthen zeuthen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 04:27:10 PDT 2010

Hi Lennart,

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 25.06.10 03:14, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:
>

>> 2010/6/25 Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org>:
>> >
>> > and converted udev init scripts to native systemd configurations to
>> > place into /lib/systemd/system/ are here:
>> >  http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/systemd/
>>
>> Looking at the udev.service file, I noticed:
>> [Service]
>> Type=notify
>> ExecStart=/sbin/udevd
>> ExecStartPost=/sbin/udevadm trigger --type=subsystems --action=add
>> ExecStartPost=/sbin/udevadm trigger --type=devices --action=add
>>
>> That duplicate ExecStartPost, is that a bug or intentional? If the
>> latter, what is the order in which those commands are run?
>> Is it possible to run other Exec* commands, like ExecStart= in
>> parallel/multiple times?
>
> Intentional. They are executed one after the other, serially. If you
> want parallelization, use multiple service files.

Interesting. So one one hand, you're saying "we're using the a
Desktop-file format because there's so many parsers / API for it", yet
with this move you break compatibility with a lot of them (in
particular GKeyFile [1]). Embrace and extend? Anyway, it's a bit too
clever... and, without getting all emotional... a bit inconsiderate
for my taste. Not that I'm super-invested in this (I'm not planning to
parse any of these files myself, anyway), but, any chance you can
figure out a better way to do this? Thanks!

     David

[1] : While GKeyFile will load/save such files correctly (because it
uses a list to store key/value pairs and jumps through a lot of hoops
to preserve comments etc), its API doesn't really cater for it. I
haven't reviewed other ini-file/.desktop-file APIs but I guess it's
the same.