[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] D-Bus activation now upstream

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jul 9 16:16:00 PDT 2010

Heya,

the necessary D-Bus glue code for systemd has now been merged into D-Bus
upstream. if you are maintaining systemd in a distro I can only
encourage you to upload a snapshot for D-Bus git into your distribution
(as I just did for Rawhide).

What does this offer you?

a) makes D-Bus itself socket activatable.

b) makes D-Bus ask systemd when a service needs to be activated.

c) adds .service/.socket into the tarball which are installed by
   default.

I have now made a few changes in systemd git that made it necessary to
depend on this new git version of D-Bus. So don't be surprised, but you
need an D-Bus 1.3.2 snapshot now to run systemd.

These systemd changes are basically the only changes in the git repo
since 1.3.1 (plus one other bugfix), so things should be rather safe to
adopt.

Unless someone else beats me to it, I will prepare a D-Bus 1.4 release
near the end of our F14 cycle.

With this merged it is now time to convince everybody to write native
systemd service files for all services which are currently started via
SysV init scripts as well as those which are currently started via the
old bus activation.

Have fun,

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.