[systemd-devel] An update

Canek Peláez Valdés caneko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 16:34:53 PDT 2010

Hi; I just wanted to give an update on the status of my system running
Gentoo with systemd. I run a full GNOME desktop, with NetworkManager
for connectivity, in a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor at
2.26 Ghz, 4Gb of memory

I'm using the systemd ebuild from Gustavo, with some small
modfications, and the ebuilds from Gentoo changed as little as
possible, and using stable versions when possible. With that, I ran
into three problems.

First, udev in Gentoo install several rules that ties hardware
notifications to the init system Gentoo uses,  causing the whole
OpenRC system being pulled in. That is easy to solve; we can use just
a systemd USE flag, and in that case those rules should not be
installed. Unfortunately, that means that it's not possible to boot to
OpenRC or Systemd with the same udev installed (unless you don't care
for some stray calls to OpenRC and a small grow in boot time and PID
count when booting with systemd).

Second, bluez has the same issue: it installs rules that call OpenRC,
and the same solution can be used.

Third, NetworkManager (version 0.8) also calls OpenRC, but in this
case it does hardcoded. In src/backends/NetworkManagerGentoo.c, it
calls /etc/init.d/net.lo status to check if the lo interface is up. It
would be nice to write a patch for NetworkManager with a configure
option "--with-distro=systemd".

After that, my system (finally!) does not run any of OpenRC at all,
and uses exclusively systemd. My PID count is about ~750, with the
whole GNOME Desktop loaded (including nm-applet, avahi, the keyring
daemon, pulseaudio, etc. etc.) My boot time is not that hot: it takes
53 seconds from grub to the whole desktop loaded (using
AutomaticLoginEnable=true in GDM), and using readahead and rebooting 5
times to cache up the bare desktop only improved the situation to 50
seconds (yes, I enabled fanotify). I ran bootchart2
(http://github.com/mmeeks/bootchart), and you can check the results
in:

http://xochitl.matem.unam.mx/~canek/bootchart.png

(The PID count is higher on account of the multiple calls to
bootchart-collector).

I have some issues: for some reason, GVFS doesn't mount remote
partitions in $HOME/.gvfs, and systemd reports:

canek at negra ~ $ dmesg | grep -i gvfs
systemd[1]: home-canek-.gvfs.mount changed dead -> mounted
systemd[1]: home-canek-.gvfs.mount changed mounted -> dead
systemd[1]: home-canek-.gvfs.mount changed dead -> mounted
systemd[1]: home-canek-.gvfs.mount changed mounted -> dead
systemd[1]: Got SIGCHLD for process 574 (gvfs-fuse-daemo)
systemd[1]: Collecting home-canek-.gvfs.mount
systemd[1]: Failed to load configuration for home-canek-.gvfs.mount:
No such file or directory
systemd[1]: Got D-Bus request:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.GetAll() on
/org/freedesktop/systemd1/unit/home_2dcanek_2d_2egvfs_2emount
systemd[1]: Trying to enqueue job home-canek-.gvfs.mount/start/replace
systemd[1]: Got SIGCHLD for process 1054 (gvfsd-sftp)
systemd[1]: Got SIGCHLD for process 1372 (gvfsd-sftp)

And another one; sometimes when I wake up after a suspend, the system
goes to the BIOS screen and a normal boot, instead of bringing back
the suspended system.

Except those two problems, everything is working fine.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Instituto de Matemáticas