[systemd-devel] An update

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sun Nov 7 08:37:55 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 02:15:02PM -0200, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi; I just wanted to give an update on the status of my system running
> > Gentoo with systemd. I run a full GNOME desktop, with NetworkManager
> > for connectivity, in a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor at
> > 2.26 Ghz, 4Gb of memory
> >
> > I'm using the systemd ebuild from Gustavo, with some small
> > modfications, and the ebuilds from Gentoo changed as little as
> > possible, and using stable versions when possible. With that, I ran
> > into three problems.
>
> which ebuilds do you need more? AFAIR you just need my systemd.ebuild
> and it should work with upstream portage.
>
> BTW, Greg KH which happens to be a Gentoo maintainer offered himself
> to help merging systemd ebuild into portage! Yay, we got a sponsor
> developer ;-)

Yes, I'm willing to do this, I tried to find you later in the week at
the conference to discuss how to do this, but failed.

Point me at your ebuilds and I'll start working on getting them, and any
changed ebuilds, checked in.

> > Third, NetworkManager (version 0.8) also calls OpenRC, but in this
> > case it does hardcoded. In src/backends/NetworkManagerGentoo.c, it
> > calls /etc/init.d/net.lo status to check if the lo interface is up. It
> > would be nice to write a patch for NetworkManager with a configure
> > option "--with-distro=systemd".
>
> Or use ConnMan, as it is faster and simpler ;-)

A lot of us don't like ConnMan for a lot of good reasons (i.e. it does
not work for our use cases.)  It also seems to be a dead-end of
development and constantly plays catch-up for NetworkManager.  So, we
can get this resolved in the NetworkManager ebuild to work and we should
be fine.

But you don't have to worry about it if you don't use it, no need to put
extra work on you :)

thanks,

greg k-h