[systemd-devel] Trying systemd in Fedora 14

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Nov 10 15:03:01 PST 2010

On Wed, 03.11.10 11:03, Felix Braun (Felix.Braun at mail.McGill.ca) wrote:

> Hi there,

heya,

> while systemd wasn't chosen as a default init system for F14, it is
> included in the repositories. That way, it was argued, more people
> could give it a try and potentially discover shortcomings before it
> would be made the default.
>
> I would like to give systemd a spin and have installed it in my fresh
> Fedora system. However, bootup is still seems to be handled by upstart
> after installation. I have not been able to find installation
> information in the man pages or on systemd's web presence.
>
> How do I transfer control to systemd? Changing init=xxx in grub.conf?
> Do I need to pass any other arguments on the kernel command line?

At this point we only really maintain systemd for F15. It's too much
work for us to maintain it for two distributions at the same time,
especially since systemd requires deep integration into the
system. Also, bug reports against the old systemd version in F14 are
only of limited use to us.

My recommendation to test systemd is to upgrade to F15. I have been
running it for a while now, and while it is a bumpy ride it generally
works.

Sorry if this is disappointing,

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.