[systemd-devel] getty at .service.m4 and serial-getty at .service.m4

LaMont Jones lamont at debian.org
Thu Nov 11 18:19:43 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:49:11PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > We can ask, but it has been that way for at least a decade so I'm
> > guessing it's unlikely to be changed now. See this Debian bug from
> > 2001, marked wontfix.

> I personally don't know the history of agetty resp. getty. [1]
> But if we want the declare the getty implementation within util-linux as sort-of
> the default, being bold and claiming the name "getty" might actually be a good idea.

After a bit more digging:  back in the distant past, there was an agetty
package in Debian.  Rather than hijacking the name, we renamed agetty in
util-linux.  Given that the package was removed from Debian sometime before
2001, I have no issue with delivering agetty as a hardlink to getty (and
therefore vice-versa).  That will remain so for the next eternity.  That is,
I have no intention of removing the copy called 'getty', for reasons of not
wanting to have to kill myself after the installed base screams.

I'll add it now and it should land post-squeeze.

lamont