[systemd-devel] getty at .service.m4 and serial-getty at .service.m4

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Mon Nov 15 07:50:52 PST 2010

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 03.11.10 22:49, Andrew Edmunds (Andrew.Edmunds at yahoo.com.au) wrote:
>
> > A few points about these two source files.
> > 1. getty at .service.m4 has:
> > > m4_ifdef(`TARGET_FEDORA', `m4_define(`GETTY', `/sbin/agetty 38400')')m4_dnl
> > > m4_ifdef(`TARGET_SUSE', `m4_define(`GETTY', `/sbin/agetty 38400')')m4_dnl
> > > m4_ifdef(`TARGET_DEBIAN', `m4_define(`GETTY', `/sbin/getty 38400')')m4_dnl
> > > m4_ifdef(`TARGET_UBUNTU', `m4_define(`GETTY', `/sbin/getty 38400')')m4_dnl
> > > m4_ifdef(`TARGET_GENTOO', `m4_define(`GETTY', `/sbin/agetty 38400')')m4_dnl
> > > m4_ifdef(`TARGET_ARCH', `m4_define(`GETTY', `/sbin/agetty -8 38400')')m4_dnl
> >
> > This code should be duplicated into serial-getty at .service.m4, or
> > pulled out into configure.ac so that it can be used by both units.
> > Currently serial-getty at .service tries to invoke /sbin/agetty on
> > Debian/Ubuntu, which doesn't exist.
>
> Fixed this now. Ideally Debian/Ubuntu would stop renaming agetty like
> this, or at least do it via symlink only. I'd love to get rid of the
> differences between the distros here.

Why is the (a)getty service file part of systemd anyways? It could
be in the util-linux package as agetty at .service instead.

> Only Fedora and Arch have rc.local. If you ask me rc.local is something
> that should just die, hence I am very reluctant to support it on any
> more distros than we currently support it on.

On SUSE we have boot.local (executed after boot.d scripts),
before.local (before runlevel switch) and after.local (when runlevel
reached) ... The latter two are just less widely known as there is
no empty stub script for them.

> The big problem here is that there isn't really a well defined point in
> time anymore where bootup is finished.

If such a point in time doesn't exist, what does the "Startup
finished" message from systemd mean then? :-)

> In traditionally sysvinit startup
> messages were only printed on the console for proper sysv services and
> only when started at boot time. However, in the much more dynamic
> systemd we print them for all services (including D-Bus services, which
> actually account for more services than SysV on most setups right
> now). The effect of that is that services come all the time and there's
> little point in synchronizing getty startup to that.

There is also little point in starting a getty on tty1 as long as
script output floods the console so the prompt scrolls away anyways.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel