[systemd-devel] systemd failing with vfs-scale-working patch-set

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Mon Nov 29 10:25:59 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at mail.ru> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Serial-console or net-console was recommended to me, this requires a
>>> 2nd machine...
>>
>> I used VM with serial port redirection when I needed early console
>> trace. Is easier than second system.
>>

> After activasion of CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y I have now a bit more
> verbose output, but I think I didn't have seen all interesting lines
> in the boot-process.
>
> Your solution sounds fine to me.
> Can you give a bit more details on this?
> Which VM solution did you use (KVM, VMware, VirtualBox, etc.)?

I use Vmware Player (for historical reasons); as of version 3.x it is
self contained, i.e. it allows you to create new VM.

> Which settings have to be done in the VM?

Add new serial port (may be one is included by default, do not know -
it is not listed in new VM); then serial port appears in removable
devices and you can connect/disconnect it at any time. You can
redirect output to file or connect to socket (not tried).

> Which kernel-config parameters do I have to set or are recommended (my
> current k-c is attached)?

As per serial-console.txt, add

console=ttyS0 console=tty0

to command line. This could be ttyS1, do not remember.