[systemd-devel] getty login prompt overlaps with service starting messages

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 11 17:10:30 PDT 2010

On Fri, 08.10.10 22:18, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> it seems that getty at .service is started in parallel with other
> (legacy) initscripts. In my case it results in getty being started
> very fast, and then prompt is hidden behind flood of Starting ...
> messages.
>
> Legacy init started getty only after all initscripts are completed. is
> there any defined checkpoint (target) that can be used to ensure
> similar synchronization?

Not really, no.

> This can probably be ignored for run level 5 as output is hidden
> anyway, although even in this case switching to text console will show
> some random text instead of login prompt. I believe, getty should be
> delayed until all service has been started.

Well, output like this kinda contradicts the idea of early logins. If
you parallelize startup then output becomes intermingled. I think the
right approach to this is not to show these messages by default, which
is what we do on Fedora.

We have discussed this forth and back with various folks a number of
times, so far we couldn't come up with a nice idea to make this less
ugly, except that if people really care they should implement a little
ncurses based boot frontend which properly can show parallelized bootup
and then gets terminated cleanly when the gettys are spawned.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.