Running a systemd-based Gentoo system

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 22:04:01 PDT 2010

2010/9/8 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at profusion.mobi>:
>  - calling any of /etc/init.d scripts is bad, as it will call openrc
> and it will bring all dependencies on its own, including services
> managed by systemd that are up already. This means we better disable
> sysv support there (more on this later).

Not sure if disabling sysv support is good idea.

Without knowing too much about Gentoo and simply looking at what the
Gentoo handbook has to say about Gentoo init scripts [1],
why don't you simply provide an /sbin/runscript implementation which
works with systemd?
That's probably the way I would try to tackle this.
Or is your plan to rip all native Gentoo init scripts at once and
replace them with native systemd service files and have a flag day?
I don't think such an approach will provide a maintainable and smooth
transition.

Just my 2¢

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=4
universe are pointed away from Earth?