Running a systemd-based Gentoo system

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Sep 8 05:22:48 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 07:04, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/8 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri at profusion.mobi>:
>>  - calling any of /etc/init.d scripts is bad, as it will call openrc
>> and it will bring all dependencies on its own, including services
>> managed by systemd that are up already. This means we better disable
>> sysv support there (more on this later).
>
> Not sure if disabling sysv support is good idea.

It's definitely the longer-term goal. There are a few missing pieces,
like native fsck, storage/raid setup, native reboot/shutdown which
needs to move to native systemd services, without calling into any of
the old sysv stuff.

At that point we have a well defined way to bring up a system and can
offer a way to unify what distros are doing here. It's a bit what we
did with udev/hotplug over the last couple of years. Almost all
distros have pretty much exactly the same stuff here, while it was all
completely different when we started.

At that point we get all the remaining sysv things out of the boot and
the basic operations, and we can cripple sysv just to "some additional
service" that makes sure, all the remaining things which use sysv are
still started as expectd, but nothing more. We would probably stop to
allow to randomly mix and have interdependencies between sysv and
systemd native things.

Fot the Gentoo case, I don't think there is a sane way to map the
openrc things into systemd units. And doing it the hard way, leave it
behind, and move the few missing pieces into systemd might be the
better approach.

It would be even funny, if the problems with openrc, and it's
incompatibility with sysv, would lead to the currently most advanced
systemd setup. :)

Kay