Systemd port on custom embedded linux

Cristian Axenie cristian.axenie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 05:43:02 PDT 2010

Hello all !

I have some questions regarding some options to enable/disable when using
systemd on a custom embedded  Linux distro. I've managed to port systemd-8
for a Tegra2 similar board, based on ARMv7 CPU. The embedded OS is a Fedora
like system and I have used the systemd-8-1.fc14.src.rpm.
Next the most important setup steps are given. When configuring the package
I've used the following options :
--with-distro=other \
--with-sysvinit-path=/etc/rc.d/init.d \
--with-sysvrcd-path=/etc/rc.d \
--with-syslog-service=rsyslog.service \
--with-dbuspolicydir=/etc/dbus-1/system.d \
--with-dbussessionservicedir=/usr/share/dbus-1/services \
--with-dbussystemservicedir=/usr/share/dbus-1/services/../system-services \
--with-dbusinterfacedir=/usr/share/dbus-1/services/../interfaces

Another aspect refers to the fact that on the embedded system I don't need a
graphical interface so systemdadm will not be necessary, and also due to the
fact that I'm cross-compiling I have eliminated the
org.freedesktop.systemd1.%.xml target from Makefile.in in order to skip
running the ARM binary ./systemd --introspect=${@:.xml=}  on the host build
system. Also the porting guide was considered when preparing the package for
cross-compilation.
After the compilation I've added init=/bin/systemd to my kernel boot line
and after freeing the init memory the system hangs with a "Failed to mount
/dev : No such device" message. The compilation environment was properly
configured with all the dependencies version required by systemd although
there were some options that were diabled. For example, for udev I have
disabled introspection support.
Any hints will be appreciated !

Best !