Running a systemd-based Gentoo system

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Wed Sep 8 06:45:43 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 08:41:48AM -0500, Jack Byer wrote:
> > > The two examples you've listed are supported already.
> >
> > Jack, did you check EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/xyz?
> > if this file defines ABC=123, then you can use ExecStart=/path/to/app $ABC
> >
> I don't believe that feature existed when I first looked at systemd
> but it sounds like exactly what would be needed.
>
> > AFAIK the first ExecStart must be a full path to the binary and cannot
> > come from envvars.
>
> So if you have a system that has xdm, kdm and gdm all installed at the
> same time, how would you choose which one to start? Likewise with
> openssh and ssh, etc.

  Not sure about Gentoo, but Debian and Fedora have “alternatives” subsystem,
which helps in such situation.

  For specific case of ?DM, Fedora has hacky /etc/X11/prefdm script which
is responsible for starting preffered one.

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray