Provide INIT_VERSION?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Sep 8 15:16:37 PDT 2010

On Wed, 08.09.10 11:24, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri (barbieri at profusion.mobi) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Seems that sysvinit provides INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-1234 to its spawned
> processes and tools like /sbin/halt check for it to just then check
> for $RUNLEVEL so I wonder if we should provide this in systemd
> automatically or I should change my .service units to provide them
> with Environment=INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-1234

I think the latter is nicer. After all we aren't sysvinit, so I'd prefer
not to claim we were in the C sources. Also note that at least in the
Fedora shutdown scripts we already set RUNLEVEL=0 via the Environment=
option, so if INIT_VERSION is necessary it probably makes sense to place
it in Environment= too.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.