Provide INIT_VERSION?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Wed Sep 8 16:14:38 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 08.09.10 11:24, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri (barbieri at profusion.mobi) wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Seems that sysvinit provides INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-1234 to its spawned
>> processes and tools like /sbin/halt check for it to just then check
>> for $RUNLEVEL so I wonder if we should provide this in systemd
>> automatically or I should change my .service units to provide them
>> with Environment=INIT_VERSION=sysvinit-1234
>
> I think the latter is nicer. After all we aren't sysvinit, so I'd prefer
> not to claim we were in the C sources. Also note that at least in the
> Fedora shutdown scripts we already set RUNLEVEL=0 via the Environment=
> option, so if INIT_VERSION is necessary it probably makes sense to place
> it in Environment= too.

Yeah, I have those in my units, but it will suck as we'll have to do
replacement of systemd-$PACKAGE_VERSION.... or just stick some random
variable there, as sysvinit just check for variable existence but not
actual value.

Anyway, maybe it's better to just ignore it and go straight with
systemd-native actions. Would you mind sharing your ideas about them?
Maybe I can help there as well.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems