[systemd-devel] Services enabled by default?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Mon Sep 20 05:16:10 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I was asking Lennart at #systemd, but as some questions were not
answered I'm asking them here as well: which services should be
enabled by default, and how? After these answers are agreed I'll
provide a patch to Makefile.am install rules.

 - systemd-modules-load.service: why do we need this as a separated
service? Anyway, shouldn't it be in
/lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants by default?

 - systemd-vconsole-setup.service: shouldn't it be in
/lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants? Or maybe
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants?

 - systemd-random-seed-load.service: why do we need this as a
separated service? Anyway, shouldn't it be in
/lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants by default?

 - systemd-random-seed-save.service: why do we need this as a
separated service? Anyway, shouldn't it be in
/lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target.wants by default?

  - remount-rootfs.service: shouldn't it be in
/lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants? Or maybe
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants? People that do not use
initramfs/initrd will need this anyway, and AFAIK this is not a
problem if it is already mounted. Or just have it builtin in systemd
main process (detect ro / and if so remounts rw unless /etc/fstab says
otherwise?)

while at it:
  - do we really need to install 6 getty services by default? can't we
just install one and people that don't like to use 1 + screen enable
more? It is a PITA to remove the links after every installation of
systemd :-/

  - why do  xyz.mount does not automatically enables its xyz.service?
I've noticed that although I have /var/lock and /var/run in /etc/fstab
and systemd recognizes them to var-lock.mount and var-run.mount, the
setup done by their .services is not being pulled... then I had to
manually "systemctl enable $MOUNTPOINT.service"...

  - should we provide a "clean /tmp" service?

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems