[systemd-devel] Services enabled by default?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 20 11:53:05 PDT 2010

On Mon, 20.09.10 10:13, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri (barbieri at profusion.mobi) wrote:

> >>  - why do  xyz.mount does not automatically enables its xyz.service?
> >> I've noticed that although I have /var/lock and /var/run in /etc/fstab
> >> and systemd recognizes them to var-lock.mount and var-run.mount, the
> >> setup done by their .services is not being pulled... then I had to
> >> manually "systemctl enable $MOUNTPOINT.service"...
> >
> > Yeah, usually only the .service is activated.
>
> I just had the mount point in /etc/fstab, the .mount was
> enabled/activated automatically.

I think in the long run there should be entries in /etc/fstab only for
actual block devices and network shares, but not for "API" mounts such
as /sys or /proc or /var/run -- unless there's reason to deviate with
the default mount options, in which case /etc/fstab could be used to
override the default mount options used by systemd.

> really? maybe people don't want /var/run or /var/lock in tmpfs... but
> yeah, these can go and rm those links... it's moot point to let it so
> loose. Will add these two.

I see little reason to support non-tmpfs /var/run and /var/lock systems
in the long run. For now, since for example the packaging in Fedora
didn't really support tmpfs /var/run and /var/lock we need to keep
minimal support for non-tmpfs fs there, but as soon as Fedora gets fixed
i see little reason to make this optional.

And anyway, this is really nothing the "user" should ever be bothered
with. The distro makers should think about this and make an educated
decision.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.