[systemd-devel] [HEADSUP] /var/lock and /var/lock/lockdev

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Apr 1 09:13:57 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 16:37, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel at suse.de> wrote:
> The other option would be to leave that legacy crap alone and only
> deprecate use of subdirectories in /var/lock.

That wold probably the best option. lockdev could just go straight
into /run/lockdev/ then, and leave the silly shared directory with
magic filenames alone.

It's kind of weird, to invent any new subdir there, keeping in mind
how broken the entire concept is. I really doubt, that any other
software will or should be changed to look directly for files in this
new directory.

All in all I don't think /var/lock/lockdev/ makes much sense at all,
and I don't think it should be done in systemd.

Kay