[systemd-devel] ListenStream=0

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Apr 4 07:32:25 PDT 2011

On Mon, 04.04.11 07:13, Albert Strasheim (fullung at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I just tried to start a socket unit with ListenStream=0 in the
> configuration, but this yields the following error:
>
> Failed to issue method call: Unit zero.socket failed to load: Invalid
> argument. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.
>
> I would expect that it would simply bind to any free port.
>
> Bug or feature?

We validate all input data, and to me it appeared as if port 0 would be
a not so useful feature.

But uh, I can be convinced to allow port == 0. Do you have a good
usecase for this? How do you determine the port number actually used? If
we allow port 0 we would have to add an interface so that clients can
query what was actually used, or not?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.