[systemd-devel] some issues with missing HAVE_SYSV_COMPAT and /run/lock

Marius Tolzmann tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de
Wed Apr 6 07:35:21 PDT 2011

hi..

On 04/06/11 16:01, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 06.04.11 15:30, Marius Tolzmann (tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de) wrote:
>
>> * /run/lock is not mounted/created since tmpfiles.d/legacy.conf is not
>>   installed (?)
>
> Yes, correct.
>
>> So how am i supposed to fix the missing /run/lock issue? i thought
>> systemd would be responsible for creating this or mounting some tmpfs
>> (i don't know the status quo in the /run / lock / lockdev discussion ;)
>
> Well, we came to the conclusion that /var/lock is just completely broken
> and we only want it on systems caring for legacy support. On legacy-free
> systems that dir shouldn't exist (or at least systemd should not create
> it) since it is deeply broken and we shouldn't bless something that
> broken.

so what is the replacement dir for /var/lock? wasn't it /run/lock?

if it was: how can i fix the missing /run/lock issue on a system without
legacy support (e.g. legacy.conf)?

i am a bit confused here since legacy.conf seems to be responsible for
creating /run/lock stuff which isn't the legacy way to do it (?) but the
proposed new way of handling lockfiles [since /run is new] (?)

or is it that i don't need /run/lock at all?

or short: where are my lockfiles supposed to go with systemd v23? 8)

i really like all the cleanup stuff systemd brings to the gnu/linux
world but it is sometimes very confusing... 8)

m.

--
Dipl.-Inf. Marius Tolzmann <marius.tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de>