[systemd-devel] user startable services in systemd context

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 19 17:03:07 PDT 2011

On Fri, 15.04.11 17:42, Marius Tolzmann (tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de) wrote:

> Hi..
>
> is there a simple or documented way to start a user systemd at boot
> time?

Nope, no docs yet. All still in flux.

> when i create a unit for systemd --user including the PAM setup a
> user-systemd gets started under the specified user.
>
> - is it intended that there stays a strange process named: "sd:pam"
>   running as root? seems to be a child of the user-systemd process.

Yes, this is necessary to make PAM work. We need to invoke the session
shutdown handlers when the service exits, and this is the process we do
this with. PAM is a bit weird sometimes.

> - how can the user manage it's user-systemd with systemctl (--user)?
>   or better: how should a users dbus daemon be setup to get connected
>   to it's systemd.

That's the dirty part: this isn't really solved yet.

In the long run there will be dbus-daemon --user and systemd --user will
just spawn it as needed. In the short run you need to wrap the systemd
invocation in a dbus-launch invocation.

As said, it's all a bit hacky right now. We will work on a clean
solution for F16.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.