[systemd-devel] systemctl runs systemd-tty-ask-password-agent and hangs?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 19 17:11:52 PDT 2011

On Tue, 05.04.11 10:06, Albert Strasheim (fullung at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Sometimes (not sure when), when I run
>
> systemctl stop foo.service
>
> where foo.service is in this state:
>
> foo.service loaded failed failed stop Foo

Would be good to get my hands on an output of "systemctl status
foo.service" (and systemctl show would be cool too) right before this
happens.

> systemctl just hangs. I can see that it has started a process called
>
> /bin/systemd-tty-ask-password-agent --watch
>
> which is apparently waiting for input of some kind, but I don't know
> where or what.

It is started during start and stop to process password queries if there
are any. You can disable this with --no-ask-password.

This is used for cryptodisks and SSL servers (or any service pulling
these) which need a password to start, to unlock the disk or the SSL
certificate. Normally it will just do nothing and be terminated after
systemctl is done. It will only be spawned if systemctl is run on a tty.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.