[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 25

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Apr 20 19:15:05 PDT 2011

Heya,

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/systemd-25.tar.bz2

Bigger changes:

- This now includes hostnamed as already announced on this mailing list

- You may now use "auto" and "comment=systemd.automount" on the same
  fstab entry so that a mount point is set up as automount, and
  automatically triggered at boot, too.

- We now set a minimal capability bounding set for the two log daemons
  and for hostnamed. We probably should do this for more services,
  including for example readahead. It requires one line changes in their
  .service files, but it's a bit of try & error work to figure out the
  minimum set of capabilities needed for the various components. If
  somebody wants to spend them time and track this down this would be
  greatly appreciated.

Shortlog:

Brendan Jones (1):
      bash: fix typo

Chris E Ferron (1):
      MeeGo support

Kay Sievers (1):
      update TODO

Lennart Poettering (82):
      mount: relabel both before and after a mount, just in case
      unit: introduce OnFailureIsolate=
      manager: don't garbage collect jobs when isolating, to change global state
      manager: serialize/deserialize max job id and /usr taint flag
      unit: pull in logger unit only when running in system mode
      unit: disallow configuration of more than one on_failure dependencies if OnFailureIsolate= is on
      don't make up buffer sizes, use standard LINE_MAX instead
      manager: no need to use randomized generator dir when running as system manager
      dbus: expose monotonic timestamps on the bus
      man: add man page for ask-password
      update TODO
      tmpfiles: don't warn if two identical lines are configured
      path: optionally, create watched directories in .path units
      local-fs: invoke emergency.service mounting at boot fails
      socket: support netlink sockets
      socket: be a bit more verbose when refusing to start a socket unit
      unit: fix dump output
      analyze: fix typo
      execute: don't fail if we cannot fix OOM in a container
      socket: fix check for SEQPACKET
      socket: try creating a socket under our own identity if we have no perms to consult the selinux database
      pam: use /proc/self/loginuid only if we have CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL
      pam: use /proc/self/sessionid only if CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL is set
      cgroup: be nice to Ingo Molnar
      mount: don't pull in stdio logger for root mount unit
      units: isolate emergency.target instead of emergency.service when we fail to mount all file systems
      unit: skip default cgroup setup if we have no hierarchy to work on
      ask-password: properly accept empty passwords from agent
      ask-password: always send final NUL char
      ask-password: support passwords without timeouts
      ask-password: use kill(PID, 0) before querying a password
      units: add --no-block when starting normal service after shell exited
      units: set stdout of kmsg syslogd to /dev/null
      logger: adjust socket description to match service
      units: require syslog.socket from the logger because we simply fail if we don't have it
      manager: downgrade a few log messages
      cryptsetup: add trailing \n
      units: never pull in sysinit from utmp, so that we can shutdown from emergency mode without pulling in sysinit
      manager: introduce IgnoreOnIsolate flag so that we can keep systemd-logger around when isolating
      manager: drop all pending jobs when isolating
      ask-password: use default timeout
      logger,initctl: use global exit timeout
      crypto: let the cryptsetup binary handles its own configurable timeouts
      util: modernize get_parent_of_pid() a bit
      util: truncate newline inside of read_one_line_file() already
      strv: handle empty lists in strv_copy() properly
      strv: detect non-assignments in env blocks properly in env_append()
      strv: properly override settings in env_append()
      dbus: split out object management code into dbus-common, and simplify it
      cryptsetup: simplifications
      hostname: split out hostname validation into util.c
      units: order quotacheck after remount-rootfs
      units: wording fix
      hostnamed: introduce systemd-hostnamed
      polkit: follow the usual syntax for polkit actions
      man: runlevel 5 is usually more comprehensive, so use it instead of 3 to detect whether a sysv service is enabled
      hostnamed: add reference to SMBIOS specs
      job: also print status messages when we successfully started a unit
[...]
      systemctl: always consider unit files with no [Install] section but stored in /lib enabled
      socket: guarantee order in which sockets are passed to be the one of the configuration file
      socket: reuse existing FIFOs
      cryptsetup: do not order crypto DM devices against the cryptsetup service
      mount: make device timeout configurable
      execute: when we run as PID 1 the kernel doesn't give us CAP_SETPCAP by default. Get that temporarily when dropping capabilities for good
      hostnamed: improve error logging
      hostnamed: drop all caps but CAP_SYS_ADMIN
      mount: properly parse timeouts options in the middle of the string
      manager: when running in test mode, do not write generated unit files to /run/systemd/generator
      fsck: don't fsck against basic.target in order to properly allow automount /home
      mount,crypto: rework meaning of noauto/nofail
      man: fix specification of default timeouts
      socket: log more information about invalid poll events
      units: set capability bounding set for syslog services
      cgroup: don't accidentaly trim on reload
      nspawn: don't fail when we receive SIGCHLD
      vconsole: don't set console font/keymap if settings are empty
      socket: support ListeSpecial= sockets
      cryptsetup: pass 0 as key size to crypt_activate_by_keyfile()
      man: minor fixes
      Revert "cryptsetup: pass 0 as key size to crypt_activate_by_keyfile()"
      build-sys: bump release
      update TODO

Wulf C. Krueger (1):
      mount: Allow creating mount units for /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs and /proc/fs/nfsd.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.