[systemd-devel] generators and service symlink

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Aug 23 09:10:46 PDT 2011

[sorry, forgot to reply to all]

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Generators are executed very very early, and can only access data from
> the root fs, not even /usr.

Hm, why not? I thought booting with an empty /usr is not supported, so
what is the issue?

> Hence writing them in anything but C is not
> really an option.

In Arch we have a generator written in bash which works fine (though
you have to be careful with what features you use, e.g. no heredoc).
It is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but the generator
needs to parse a bash array from a legacy config file, so it seemed
like the simplest solution.

-t