[systemd-devel] /sys/subsystem device dependency not working

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 23 16:41:52 PDT 2011

On Thu, 18.08.11 22:03, Albert Strasheim (fullung at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I am trying to use systemd-26 to configure a network device.
>
> I've decided to try this instead of the standard Fedora init scripts
> because I want the network configuration to depend on a kernel command
> line argument (which should be possible as soon as
> ConditionKernelCommandLine=foo=bar gets fixed) and some files that are
> generated during bootup.
>
> I spotted the following in /lib/udev/rules.d/99-systemd.rules:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", KERNEL!="lo", TAG+="systemd",
> ENV{SYSTEMD_ALIAS}="/sys/subsystem/net/devices/%k"
>
> I understood this and the comment above it to mean that I could add a
> dependency on sys-subsystem-net-devices-em2.device to my service that
> configures the device.

Yupp, this should work.

If you do "systemctl --full" you should see your interface .device unit
in the list. Do you? Can you do "systemctl show -p Names ...." for that unit?
Do you see the alias name properly added to the device?

> Did I misunderstand how the udev rule is supposed to work?

No, this should work.

> Is the udev 167 that ships with FC15 too old perhaps?

Nope, F15 should be fine.

I wonder if this might be related ti the if renaming thing. The
systemctl -p Names should tell us what is going on.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.