[systemd-devel] Running packagekitd on shutdown

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Thu Aug 25 00:43:41 PDT 2011

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 23.08.11 16:18, Richard Hughes (hughsient at gmail.com) wrote:
>> I'm trying to make the update experience in GNOME 3.2 much better; at
>> the moment updating core services and libraries whilst everything is
>> running is quite unpredictable and we really just want to update stuff
>> like systemd, dbus and libc in shutdown when the system is in a known
>> and quiet state.
>
> Updating libc, dbus, systemd and so on from within the system is
> probably always a bad idea. I'd very much prefer if we could do this
> from an external environment

I don't think we ever had any problem with a libc or dbus
maintenance update that could have been solved with updating at
shutdown or from a rescue partition. Maintenance updates for low level
components like that are not supposed to change things in an
incompatible way. The kernel is special but the solution there is to
always keep at least the last known working one instead of replacing
the old version. The more problematic updates are usually on the
other end of the stack, ie desktop apps that get version upgraded and
freak out if files are replaced behind their back. Asking the user to
reboot just to update e.g. the web browser or mail client would be
retarded though. There has to be a better way.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel